Friday, December 9, 2011

Diet adjustments

I've been tracking what I'm eating. The full/uncomfortable feeling has continued. Then I made a conscious effort to up my protein intake.


It's been a struggle to eat much of anything this week. Everything seems to make me feel far too full. Even a garden salad. And there are certain things I've been afraid to eat for fear of making it all worse. Namely, when liver disease patients eat more protein than their livers can handle, toxins like ammonia build up in the bloodstream and go (you guessed it) straight to the brain. Hepatic encephalopathy. It's none too good.

So I've been eating probably less protein than usual this past week. And I don't often get enough as it is. My protein sources are based on what's relatively cheap and what I feel like making. I try to vary it up-- some nuts here, some cheese, some yogurt, beans, an egg now and then, whatever...chicken or shellfish if I'm feeling fancy. But typically I'd say I don't eat more than 40 - 50 g a day, which is low. And often it's even less than that, unless I'm trying.

This afternoon, I decided to aim for a higher protein intake. Something at least in my recommended range.

One vaguely disgusting protein shake later, I actually feel significantly better. And possibly even HUNGRY. No way.

I'm keeping tabs on this protein situation from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment