Wednesday, December 7, 2011

It Begins

Day 3 of prednisone starts today. I'm on 60 mg-- that's twelve 5 mg tablets-- for the rest of the week.

I think at least one prednisone side effect is beginning to kick in. A friend of mine who'd been on prednisone actually enjoyed it (for the most part) and claimed it made her feel "like she could do anything."

Based on the fact that I went from 0 to 60 on waking today, my heart pounding and an unfamiliar mania surging through me...I may be experiencing that particular side effect as I write this.

I'll admit this is better than the all-day fatigue and naptime I had been experiencing thanks to the autoimmune hepatitis/cirrhosis. AKA, my liver giving out.

But I'm scared of what effects are coming next. Weight gain? Puffy "moon face"? Appetite surges? Mood swings? Acne? Muscle wasting?

Fatigue is another potential side effect, too, and I don't want that needle to start swinging back the other way.

I've been examining my face in the mirror since Monday, on the lookout for the dreaded moonface. I suspect my face might be a trifle rounder today, but I could always be imagining things. It wouldn't be the first time.

No appetite surge yet. For my last few prednisone-free weeks I began to experience a loss of appetite, again from my poor struggling liver, and so far that has continued. I'm so afraid of the prednisone weight gain that I'm almost thankful for that.

Oh, you read that correctly. A part of me would rather experience liver failure than drug-induced weight gain. Blame society's impossible standards and ideals for female beauty. Body image issues coming out full swing.

No comments:

Post a Comment