Thursday, December 8, 2011

Beginning stages of research

Researching prednisone, autoimmune hepatitis, and cirrhosis seems to be the best way for me to cope so far. I've always had a need to understand and analyze myself and what's going on with me. I never thought I'd have to deal with something like this. Obviously? But them's the breaks.

Still trying to sort through information on the progression of autoimmune hepatitis and how it ever got as far as cirrhosis. It's not even that clear to me how far gone the liver has to be for a doctor to diagnose cirrhosis, other than something like, "pretty far" or "past the possibility for regeneration," whatever that means.

What percentage are we talking here? Exactly how much of my liver is left to me? I want to know. And I DON'T.

I learned a little more from my research into prednisone. I found out, for example, exactly what kind of dosage I'm currently on: a "high" dose, just slightly more than 1 mg of prednisone per kilogram of body weight.

I'm on a taper, so I get to lower my dosage every few weeks until I'm down to a "moderate" 20 mg-- though I'm not sure why I'm tapering?-- most people with autoimmune conditions who take prednisone seem to need to stay at a certain level, usually moderate to high, for a long time. At least a year. Is it because my liver is too far gone? Maybe the higher dose isn't able able to help restore function, and all it can do is stop my immune system from attacking my liver any further...which might not need as high a dose? I haven't found any real answers yet.

I know this initial treatment is temporary until whenever I can get a transplant. And I haven't so much as been put on the waiting list yet. My doctor seemed clear on the point that my days with prednisone will be far from over. I'll need it to prevent rejection of the new liver, probably for several months to a year. And perhaps afterwards, to prevent my immune system from attacking again.

In sum: Not thrilled. Not thrilled at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment